This Week’s Segments Include:On the Needles
Off the Needles
Knitting in Passing
In My Travels
From the Armchair
Life in Focus
On a Happy Note
Quote of the Week
On the Needles
Off the Needles
- Turn a Square Hat by Jared Flood
In My TravelsHeaded up to New Hampshire with the family and took what turned out to be a foggy boat ride out of Portsmouth Harbor. Check out the Isle of Shoals Boat Tour. I'm sure the scenery was beautiful- we just couldn't see it.
From the ArmchairThis week Kim and I reviewed Knit Red by Laura Zander.
The review copy of this book was kindly provided to us by Jimmy Beans Wool.
Also check out Stitch Red.
Bottom Line: there were many beautiful patterns in this book. Definitely give it a look!
We also talked about our visit to The Windsor Button in Boston.
Kim realized after listening to The Knitmore Girls Podcast that she's a monogamist knitter! I, however, am definitely not :) To each his/her own.
Life in FocusThis week I answered some questions from the Photography Questions Thread on the Ravelry Group.
- Barbknitz asked: "Somebody in another forum mentioned that you were discussion photography and they recommended Your Camera Loves You, Learn to Love it Back. Have you heard of this book?"
- Answer: I have not heard of it, but it looks like a great resource for beginners and gets great reviews on Amazon. I'd recommend checking it out if you're looking to learn more and can't get to a class.
- Catspawlace says: "I find it very difficult to get a good photo of lace shawls, mostly because of their size. Any ideas for effective ways of “posing” them?"
- Here are links to a number of different poses and positions that I think would be great ideas for trying out!
- #1 wear your shawl! I always think that looks best, and am interested to see how its meant to be worn.
- Drape over a dressform or even a wooden coat hanger
- Lay it along a fence. Yes, Brenda Dayne's right it is cliche, but its effective! Here's her latest beauty.
- Stretch your shawl out on the grass.
- Over the back of a chair or a bench.
- Hang on a tree limb.
- Hang on a clothes line (inside or outside)
- For a silly, clever idea- wrap it around a shawl at your local park!
- Slow Cloth Talk in Jamaica Plain, MA on Thursday 9/27 at 7p
- The Greater Boston Yarn Crawl 2012: Friday, September 28 though Sunday, September 30. Find their
- Stitches East- October 11-14 at the Connecticut Convention Center in Hartford, CT
- NY Sheep and Wool in Rhinebeck - October 15 & 16
- Fiber Festival of New England- Nov. 3 & 4, 2012 at Eastern States Exposition’s (ESE) Mallary Complex in West Springfield, MA
On a Happy Note
- GoodReader App for iPad- great for making notes on knitting patterns! More of an in depth review to come. I found two good articles from the Tech Republic website. Great screenshots and tips here: One & Two.
- Blackening Seasoning Recipe (for use on fish, chicken, pork)
- 1 1/2 tablespoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- 1 tsp Nature’s Seasoning
- a dash or two of white pepper
- 2-4 teaspoons cayenne pepper depending on how much heat you want
- a dash or two of ground cumin